• This forum is currently in Read-Only mode and will not accept new threads, posts or responses.

To Sign Up for the New Forum, click here: https://www.cco.us/cco-forum/

1 step forward, 2 steps back

runbikeharley

:( I'm almost finished at local college for HIM program, problem is I didn't learn anything, nothing at all. I took LPN and Medical transcription at this college so thought HIM would be just as good, wrong. I took ICD-10 at another college I paid for by myself, I learned so much. My problem is since I only learned minimal basics of ICD-9 and want to take the test soon, where do I begin, what do I need to do. I can't even begin to tell you modifers, level 1, 2 etc., but I can look up the codes really good, got good medical background, just looking for a short cut, since I keep taking 1 step forward only to be pushed back 2 steps, hitting a wall here. Also doing internship for 240 hours, I basically answer phones that's it, and don't get me started on the 2 years it took me to even get an internship.

Alicia Scott

Moderator, CCO Instructor
Staff member
Administrator
Blitzer
PBC Student (CPC®)
CCO Club Member
CCO Support Staff
MTA Student
ICD-10-CM Student
PPM Student (CPPM®)
FBC Student (CPC-H®)
Don't panic. I think what will benefit you is the Blitz and a practice exam. Go through Laureen's Blitz which will get your manuals and you ready for the exam then do a practice exam. If you can make an 80-85% on the practice exam you are good to go. If not take more practice exams.
Here is a quick link to the products I think will help. I DO NOT think you need to go through the entire course we offer. You most likely know more then you think. :)
Blitz package

Practice exam package

YOU CAN DO THIS!!!!!

Ruth Sheets

CCO Moderator
Staff member
Administrator
Blitzer
PBC Student (CPC®)
CCO Club Member
CCO Support Staff
MTA Student
ICD-10-CM Student
PPM Student (CPPM®)
FBC Student (CPC-H®)
I suspect you know more than you think... and the rest will come with practice. Are you planning on taking the CPC exam? If so, the Blitz program will be most helpful because it goes over lots of tips regarding marking up your book to help you quickly get the info you need. You need to know the Guidelines and practice using them -- one way is by using practice exams. The modifiers can be reinforced by studying the free tool download called Modifiers Job Aid Tool: click here. The Blitz package (just get the online access if you want to save money) also has a segment on Modifiers as well as reviewing key points that are tested on in the CPC exam for all the topics you need to know.

The practice exams are needed to get your speed up, not to mention your confidence. You definitely need to practice because it is a long test but the 5 hours 40 minutes is not enough time if you are not able to go fast enough! If you can afford it, invest in several practice exams including the AAPC set of 3. The time and money you spend on preparing for the test will be worth it!

susan sayers

trying to bloom in life 2.0
Blitzer
PBC Student (CPC®)
CCO Club Member
CCO Practicoder
OK so I didn't pass the first time. Already have my space for the second time.Trying to do as many tests as my finances will allow.I,ve done the 150 practice exam 2013 .(and somehow received another exam dated 2012...but exactly the same as 2013). Now I,m thinking of the Deluxe exam Package or the mini practice exams. Dose anyone know if the questions are different from the 2013 practice exam. Which on to get first?Any help would be appreciated. Thanks
P.S. I,ve also done the AAPC mini tests..all 3

Ruth Sheets

CCO Moderator
Staff member
Administrator
Blitzer
PBC Student (CPC®)
CCO Club Member
CCO Support Staff
MTA Student
ICD-10-CM Student
PPM Student (CPPM®)
FBC Student (CPC-H®)
The MiniMocks are new questions and were developed by CCO. I've lost track as to what the Deluxe Package contains. Unless someone else has tried it and wants to jump in here, I suggest you contact helpdesk@cco.us to get an answer to your question.

CCO-support

Administrator
Blitzer
PBC Student (CPC®)
CCO Club Member
CCO Support Staff
MTA Student
All the exams are different questions. The MiniMocks as Ruth said were developed by CCO. The Deluxe Package contains 2 sets of 150 questions different from the 150 Practice Exam. CCO offers a total 3 sets of 150 questions and 3 of the 50 questions, the mini mocks. Here's the list. https://www.cco.us/how-to-become-a-certified-medical-coder/